Tax Preparation Services for Personal Taxpayers

Hiring a CPA firm is a tremendous benefit to optimize your tax return for individual taxpayers, those with a side business, freelancers, and if you own rental property or invest in real estate.

CPA for Personal Taxes

Tax laws are increasingly complicated. With new and changing tax laws every year, it is incredibly easy for individual taxpayers to overlook deductions and credits that may reduce your tax liability. There is no substitute for the services of a professional tax expert when reporting your personal and household income taxes.

While the income taxes for some individuals can be complex, additional factors can add even more considerations for filing an accurate return.


If you commute to another state for work, you will file a resident tax return in your home state, but you may have to file a nonresident state tax return for the state of your employment. Anyone who has moved to another state may have to file in both the previous and the current residential states.


If you’re a U. S. citizen, an expatriate, or a resident alien living and working abroad, or a foreign person living in the United States, you are still subject to U. S. federal income taxes. U. S. citizens with foreign financial interests also have tax obligations that, if not reported, can face steep penalties from the IRS.


Once you’ve filed your income taxes, you cannot make changes (unless your e-filed return was rejected and requires changes). If you’ve found additional information or documents that will change your tax return, an amended return is necessary to adjust your return and tax liability.


Trusts are entities separate from the trustee.  Income generated by the trust is subject to a tax liability.


All estates must also prepare the final individual income tax return which reports the income earned from January 1st until the date of death. An estate tax return can be extremely complex.

Tax Audit Assistance

If you receive a notice of an audit from the IRS, your strongest defense is to enlist the professional assistance of a CPA. We develop a strategy and work on your behalf.

Delinquent Taxes / Debt Resolution

The IRS can take over your personal assets when a tax debt is not paid. For individual taxpayers trying to resolve delinquent taxes, a CPA can work with you and the IRS to find a forgiveness plan that fits your financial situation.

      • Installment Agreement
      • Innocent Spouse Relief
      • Offer In Compromise
      • Currently Not Collectible
      • Penalty Abatement

Income Tax Prep Checklist

Every taxpayer has different documentation needs to prepare their income tax return. A general list is below.



If we did not prepare your tax return last year, we will need a copy of your prior year income tax return.


It’s always a good idea to have the driver’s licenses of the tax filers available.  This is especially true for individuals new to Griffin & Furman.

Also, the social security cards or accurate social security numbers for filers and dependents. A mistake in a single digit can delay any refunds due to you.


Proof of income starts with wages earned from your job(s), and documentation is provided from your employer with W-2s.  Other sources of income can also include some of the following:

rental income




social security

retirement benefits

sale of real estate

income from hobbies

independent contractor wages earned

investments (including dividends)

credit union & bank interest earned

debt that has been forgiven


gambling winnings


Whether you itemize your tax returns or not, always keep documentation of deductible expenses.  Some tax-deductible expenses:

Self-employment expenses, such as mileage and equipment

Medical expenses (over 10% of your adjusted gross income)

Documentation of any investments you sold during the year

Tuition payments – form 1098-T is sent for qualified tuition expenses

Work-related education expenses

The cost of last year’s tax preparation

IRA contributions

Union dues

Un-reimbursed employee business expenses (client meals, travel, etc.)

Student loan interest – if you paid $600 or more in student loan interest, you should receive a 1098-E from the lender

Mortgage loan interest – if you paid $600 or more in student loan interest, you should receive a 1098 form from the lender

Charitable contributions – This includes non-cash donations, such as donated food, clothes, and household goods. Any vehicles or boats donated to a charity would receive a 1098-C.


If you’ve experienced a loss of property from a natural disaster, theft, fire, or catastrophe, bring documentation of the event, fire or police reports, insurance claims, receipts, or proof of insurance payments or federal or state relief payments.


To receive a direct deposit refund, a blank check will provide the routing number and account number.


CPA for Personal Income Taxes

At Griffin & Furman, our goal is to minimize your tax liability while maintaining compliance with the federal and state tax laws. Give us a call.

Stephen Griffin CPA
Robert Furman CPA
Angela M. Warden
Stephen Griffin CPA
Robert Furman CPA


2270 7th St., Suite 1
Mandeville LA 70471
(985) 727-9924 Phone

West Monroe

Send Us A Message

14 + 8 =